- The average family spends $9,700 in additional out of pocket medical expenses NOT covered
- Examples: medication not covered by insurance, extra costs of surgery, hospital stays, treatments
- 6 out of 10 families spend $1,000-$10,000 in out of pocket nonmedical expenses NOT covered by insurance
- Examples: paying for parking and travel to medical facilities, food, accomodations
- This averages to a quarter of a family's weekly budget.
- Treatment of childhood cancer is so time consuming that a parent often has to cut back or leave a job in order
to take care of their child.
to: https://www.acco.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=wsmqr_E8Tf8%3d&tabid=1498, http://www.curesearch.org/Childhood-Cancer-Statistics/, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sherri-bushong-maxey/childhood-cancer-awareness-month-_b_1878906.html, http://www2.mdanderson.org/depts/oncolog/articles/12/2-feb/2-12-1.html)